We’ve got a few recipes for homemade shea butter face and hair masks.
Shea butter + lavender essential oil hair mask
- Melt about 1 tablespoon of raw shea butter
- After the butter cools down slightly, add a drop or two of lavender essential oil
- Apply it to your scalp and hair
- After half an hour, rinse using a mild shampoo
Shea butter + carrier oil + essential oil face cream
This common recipe can be used for different results depending on the type of essential oil that you use. Mix equal amounts of shea butter and carrier oil. Add a few drops of essential oil.
Carrier oil – Choose from coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, argon oil or sweet almond oil depending on your skin type
For clear skin – Equal amounts of lavender, frankincense, tea tree oil
For anti-aging – 3 drops each of frankincense, rose and helichrysum and 2 drops each of myrrh and lavender essential oils
For dry skin – Equal amounts of lavender, sandalwood and yarrow pom essential oils
Shea butter face lotion
- Shea butter – 5 tablespoons
- Aloe vera juice – 10 tablespoons
- Cocoa butter – 1 tablespoon
- Camelia seed oil – 4 tablespoons
- Organic beeswax pellets
- Lavender essential oil – 5 drops
- Rose geranium essential oil – 5 drops
- Frankincense essential oil – 3 drops
- Palmarosa essential oil – 3 drops
Melt shea butter, cocoa butter and organic beeswax in a double boiler. When the three ingredients melt and mix, remove from heat. Let it rest till it reaches room temperature. Add aloe vera juice. Whip the mixture till it becomes creamy. Add the essential oils. Pour in a glass jar and store.
Shea butter is a great alternative to water-based moisturisers as it offers deep moisturisation and nourishment. Make the most of this natural extract to improve your skin and hair health.